Saturday, November 29, 2014

The Most Incredible on the Edge of Glory

Ecuador! What an incredible country and it is definitely in my top five.   I am sad to leave but of course, just le my whole time here, my last days were incredible.

My mate Callum - we met in Arequipa - was passing through Quito for a coiple days so he booked into the hostel.  It is always nice meeting up with someone you have met along the way, a familiar face is always heart warming.
We hit up the Otovalo Market - o e of the largest open air markets in South America.  I was looking forward to it as its a big tourist spot and after all my time in Ecuador I still hadnt made it there.

I pictured it being like a flea market...you know, in a big open area like a fairground or something; instead, it was all through the streets of the town.  The streets were closed off and people popped up their kiosks, which filled the streets with colourful alpaca sweaters, bags, generic bracelets, hammocks - which I bought one and bartered for...in Spanish.  It was a lot of things that you can see in any market but it was still an experience, and....its a market, everyone loves a market!  We wandered the streets looking for everyhing but nothing, not wanting to leave empty handed. Finally amongst thr colours and generisism,we found this kiosk with gorgeous jewellery,  hand carved out of bone, coconut and different (currency) coins.  We spent an hour at this place, trying to decide what we wanted.  The owner was nice and we ended up be-friending him...infact, we felt quite protective of him.  A couple came up to the kiosk...she looked...the man started asking prices and wojld then say "muy caro" - to expensive- he continued to say it was plastic and could by it anywhere in Quito - everything of course being said in Spanish.  When Callum asked "De donde eres?" He ignored him. I said a few unkind words in English and we shooed him away.  We bought a few things after that ....if it was a scam to get us to buy it worked...but we know it wasnt, we were going to buy anyways

There were new volunteers - becauase Ale and Vane transferred to Cotopaxi - and they were awesome.  In just one week we became a little family.  We ate our meals together, hung out, drank together...the usual.  Sebastian and I would go oit for walks everyday and practice our Spanish which was pretty cool; we went to the park or the big statue and spoke as much as we could in Spanish.  I took 10 hours of Spanish my last week, which really helped me, now I just have to practice what she taught me.

My last day of classes my teacher gave me a box of chocolates.  Leticia - the one I had been tutoring gave me a pair of earings.  Carlos - one of the locals I worked with - wrote me a letter.  Everyone was making me cry.  Plus we had the most amazing group of people staying there that we all became really close with which made it harder but made my last night that much better.

Carlos and i dressed up for our wedding...fake wedding...dont worry.  He was upset I had to leave and that my visa was expiring and said he would marry me to keep me in the country so we planned a fake wedding which was only pictures and everyone getting drunk and heading to the club where we had a fringo corner on the dance floor.

My 10:30am leaving time turned out to be a little later as I was not up to par the next morning...I can probably use the word HUNGOVER to explain my situtation but there is no need to be specific, I prefer to say I had the vodka bug.

I still had to finish packing and everyone was coming to say goodbye, my managers, the cooks, guests even staff that had the day off...it was making it difficult and I was trying not to get emotional.  Living and working at a hostel is never easy to say goodbye to, I had spent three months at Wild Rover and this was almost two months and I didnt want to get attached, but Im a softy so of course there were tears before Jono and Bradey got me into the cab so we could head to Baños.

Back, to Baños.   I was pretty stoked, I love Baños so was looking forward to a quick visit before heading back to Perú.  The boysmade the bus ride interesting.  They had bought walkie talkies so Bradey sat a few seats up and when we needed to talk to eachother we would use them....and of course we had cool code names ...Maverick to Batman, this is Maverick calling Batman.  I was Goose.

When we checked into the hostel and got into our room, Jono decided that the only bottom bunk available was, his leaving the bunk above him or the top one by the door left for Bradey and I to fight for.  Rock, paper scissors is always a good way to help with decisions; I won which got me the bunk above Jono and away from the door.  Jono sat and gushed about is comfortable bed and kept saying I was closer to the ceiling making me closer to the spiders...which of course made me paranoid and everytime I felt something I jumped.  Between spider thoughts, our loud roommates and Jono's farting I didnt get much sleep. However, waking up to Jono having a spider in his "lush" bottom bunk made it all worth it...oh Kharma.

The night we got there we wanted to take it easy so we decided to go to the hot springs just under the waterfall...and relax.

Our jaws dropped when we walked in...it was nothing of what we were expecting.  It looked more like a communal bath then relaxing hot springs.  The baths were overflowing with people, the baths were manmade and the water was a murky brown.  We just stood and stared for a bit..."I paid three bucks I want my moneys worth," said Bradey.  We put on the swimming caps and headed to the roof to hopefully less crowded pools.   No such luck.  It was like taking a bath with strangers, the water made me itchy, I felt like I was in the Ganges River.

We just huddled in the middle making sure to have enough space between us and everyone else. We giggled at the situation, its moments like this that we travel for, to experience something local...even if we cant see if one of the kids have pooped in the brown water.

The next day  was a random day, which of course always turn out the best.  I wanted an adventure, so we rented an open top jeep with two other guys from the hostel.  We got directions to the jungle, hopped in the jeep and were off.

We drove out of town and followed the map to the bridge where we were suppossed to turn left and drive up to the jungle.  "Is this the right road, it seems awfully sketchy."  The road was windy, bumpy and almost too narrow for our jeep.  "Oh my god Jono please drive slowly, I don´t want to fall off the edge!"  My vertigo was kicking in and getting worse by the seconds.  "Ahh don´t worry, it´s fine...besides you wanted an adventure, you are living on the edge." Then he continues with "I¨m on the edge, of glory."  "Thank you Lady Gaga.  However, I don´t see any glory in this edge."  The boys checked the map again.  "It´s the right road.  Keep driving."  I was getting hit in the face with branches as I kept yelling at Jono to keep right.  "Its not Australia, you have to stay to the right." "Just keep reminding me and we will be fine."  "Gee that´s comforting."  The boys kept looking out into the scenery on our left which was a huge drop into I dont know what as I was staring at the stone wall on my right.  "Wow!  We are so high right now!"  Trust me, I didn´t need them to tell me, my vertigo was a constant reminder.

We came to a twist and a little decline.  We hopped out of the jeep and check it out.  There was a huge rock in the middle of the so-called road, which looked like it had fallen from the cliff above us.  "Now what?"  " We will turn around."  I looked at all four of them then at the jeep and the road that was barely wide enough to fit it.  "Are you kidding me?"  "Well there is no way we can get around that rock so we have to go back the way we came, we don´t have a choice." OH walking seems like a viable option right now I thought.

We had stopped in a part of the road that was a bit wider; a seven point turn and we were on our way back down the small road - which we found out later was the right road but was meant for bikes - and me in the back this time in between two of the guys, feeling a little more safe then in the front.

We drove around for hours through little towns, up more hills looking out at the incredible landscapes of jungle ridden hills with waterfalls.   We actually wanted to get to a waterfall and go swimming but we couldn´t seem to find one.   We even drove down a small road that we thought had a waterfall but it ended up being someones garden.

Driving around aimlessly wasn´t a bad thing, we ended up in some incredible spots which were great photo opportunities, though one of my photos was ruined as the guys thought it was funny to leave me in the middle of the road and drive away.  I took my camera away from my face and very slowly started walking the way they drove off, I rounded the corner, I hear their laughter.  They started driving backwards to where I was "Emmie, that was awesome!" "Yes, Im sure it was" Assholes!

Our aimless driving took us through this amazing jungle town.  The scenery, the gardens, the weather...honestly it was incrdible.  By this point I was used to the high windy roads and was sitting up on the back by the wheel with Bradey and Jono - sorry mum - all the while listening to Bailando,  Jono´s choice...my god we are such Gringo´s.  It was amazing - not the song - but just everything, the place the jeep, the wind blowing through our hair, the scenery and of course the people I was with...once again a random day turned out to be an incredible day.  

On our way back about 10 minutes from town Jono yells "the waterfall!!! Right there, turn around, go back!"  It was the waterfall all right...the waterfall we were at the night before with the hot springs!  "Well, at least it´s a waterfall!"

About two minutes from the rental place Bradey says "is this the right way, isn´t this street one way?"  "no its fine," we all agreed.  A woman in a street vendor started yelling "disculpe, disculpe es solo una via. Una via!"  Shit!  It´s only one way.  Five gringos in an open air jeep, driving the wrong way down a one way street with Bailando playing (again).  It looked even worse when we reversed and drove backwards now going the right way.

I parted ways with Jono and Bradey the next day.  Two other guys I met at the hostel in Quito were meeting up with me to head down to Mancora...yup it´s back to Peru.

I´m gutted to leave Ecuador.  I have had two of the most amazing months of all of my travels as well as met some of the most incredible people.   There are no words to describe the times, the adventures, the people and all the memories I now have...but maybe this will help.   Team meetings, canyoning, Bungalow,  Emmie I have Gatorade, Chanchito, Gordita, Tengo hambre, random days to the equator,  Sebastian taking me on afternoon runs,  Kiki Kiki Kiki, cama tiempo,  my freakout on the teleferiko,  getting robbed for a second time, mote,  locking Sebastian out of the room,  Cotopaxi, chasing llamas with Milo,  Mash potato,  fake weddings,  Chanchito´s horrible choice in music,  Quilotoa,  being on the 5 oclock news,  muggers corner,  Y.O.M.O - you only get mugged once, palabra, palabra ariba, Lesina´s locker of goodies, meeting up with my Mancora crew, Chanchito losing his stomach on the table at Bungalow,  Halloween - no words needed here, a rainy two days in Montanita but I guess the bakery made up for it, inside out, after hours in the staff room and of course all of you.  The Secret Garden is by far the most interesting hostel I have worked at.  It is chill and not party but has been the best place to meet people, and some of the greatest people at that.  I was suppossed to stay for two weeks and stayed two months which has left me with some of the greatest friends and the most incredible Ecuadorian family, a family that I was never expecting.  I´m sorry to leave but my time is up and I must float on...dont forget me and my heart will always be with you guys.

To my Quito Crew....love you x

Now it´s back to Mancora...bad or good choice?

                                                                                             - My Beautiful Life -









No comments:

Post a Comment